E. Summary and Suggestions

 

1.1. Purposes of Student Teaching Assistantship

The purpose of the Sea-Teacher program is to provide prospective teachers with the opportunity to teach on an international scale in ASEAN countries. As this program unfolded, I can assess that it exceeded my expectations. Through this initiative, I have learned about foreign curriculum, education systems, teaching models, and school management. My goal in participating in the selection process to become a Sea-Teacher awardee was to enrich my experience and knowledge in the field of education, particularly on an international scale. This program has also enhanced my English language proficiency. Despite its relatively short duration, I gained a wealth of knowledge and valuable lessons through this program.

1.2. Procedures of Student Teaching Assistantship

The teaching assistantship process commenced with the observation of classroom sessions, after which we engaged in teaching assistance and the development of lesson plans, which encompassed the creation of materials using PowerPoint and worksheets. Throughout this phase, the cooperating teacher provided extensive suggestions and feedback on the lesson plans to enhance their quality. Once the lesson plans and other preparations were complete, we proceeded to teach in the classroom and implement the teaching, culminating in the final demonstration. The practicum concluded with the cooperating teacher offering feedback on our final demonstrations and teaching abilities.

1.3. Outcomes of Student Teaching Assistantship

The outcomes of this teaching assistantship program consist of both physical and non-physical outcomes. Physical outcomes include lesson plans and accompanying materials. Non-physical outcomes encompass the ability to create lesson plans, an understanding of the Kto12 curriculum, the capability to execute learning activities in line with the prepared lesson plans, the ability to adapt to new school environments, and the skill to manage classroom conditions to ensure effective learning and the achievement of learning objectives.

As for the memories and experiences gained, they are irreplaceable. It includes moments spent with fellow Sea-Teacher friends, teachers, "kuya," "ate," and many kind-hearted Filipinos. Most notably, it is the time spent with the Dea students, who are incredibly romantic.

1.4. Overall Impression

Here, I will be performing a teaching assistantship as a mathematics teacher in a 7th-grade middle school class. However, the observations I conducted were not limited to middle school classes but also extended to all high school classes. In this educational system, junior high school is a 4-year program, whereas senior high school is a 2-year program. However, similar to Indonesia, the high school level has a 6-year study duration. I also have an impression to share regarding school hours in the Philippines. The children have a schedule of activities starting from 7 in the morning until the afternoon, and this is carried out from Monday to Thursday. Friday is a day off for them. This is different from Indonesia, where the school day typically starts at 7 in the morning and ends at 2 in the afternoon for five days (Monday to Friday).

 During my time here, I was introduced to all the classes at Laboratory Science High School, and even to all the education department classes as a student exchange. Yes, on my first day at Cavite, I was asked to give a welcome speech and introduction in front of all the education students here. I am proud to introduce myself as an international student. Thank you, God, for the valuable experience you have provided to Dea, allowing me to study in another country.

To CvSU and the College of Education, I wish that this marks the initiation of a positive and ongoing chain of experiences that will continue in the future. There are still many individuals out there who should discover the welcoming and enjoyable nature of the people and learning environment here. I aspire for this not to be the culmination of our cultural and educational exchange but rather the commencement of our future collaborations. I express my profound gratitude for granting me this priceless experience. As our brief time together comes to a close, I hope it will serve as a beautiful conclusion for all of us. Maraming salamat, thank you, and terima kasih banyak."

1.5. Suggestion for Future Improvement

The entire program implemented here makes me and my friends very grateful. However, there are several suggestions that I want to give to SEA Teachers to make them even better in the future. It would be better if each university had 2 representatives, at least they didn't come alone. Some study abroad programs usually place more than 1 student at 1 university. The hope is that schools that send students will be better off sending more than 1 student so that they can come and go home together. Apart from that, all activities went well and there were no problems for a month.

Comments